Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Chili Tortilla Casserole

Chili Tortilla Casserole



 Well, it has been a very busy summer for me.  I haven't posted in quite awhile. I've been busy helping my aging parents and getting my Etsy business up and running http://www.etsy.com/shop/Treesees Time has flown and now the weather is getting colder and the holiday's are approaching. I thought I would share one of my favorite throw together meals that is perfect for this time of year when you want a warm easy dinner.

 I call this time of the year “Casserole Season”. I’ve made this dish for years for my family. It was one of their favorites. I like to make it with organic ingredients, lean ground beef and low fat cheeses. For such a dense cheesy casserole, it is really quite healthy. I like using an old Corning-ware deep square baking dish. I recommend a deep dish rather than a 9 x 13 baking dish to layer the ingredients. ​ ​


      Chili Tortilla Casserole 


1 ½ pound of lean hamburger or turkey  burger 
½ cup of chopped onions 
1 can of organic chopped tomatoes with mild      chilies 10 to 12 oz ( do not drain) 
1 can organic tomato sauce 8 oz. plus ½ can of  water. 
1 can of organic black beans partly drained
½ cup of pitted and sliced black olives. ( you    may use more to taste) save some for topping
1 Tablespoon of Chili powder 
½ Tablespoon Cumin powder 
2 teaspoon of sugar Salt and Pepper to taste 
1 bag of Stone Ground Tortilla chips 
1 ½ cup of Shredded low fat cheddar cheese 
¼ to ½ cup of low fat Pepper Jack Cheese.
Olive Oil 

Serve with : 1 Avocado sliced ( optional), Sour Cream, and remaining chips

In a large deep fry pan, fry the ground beef until almost done. Add the chopped onions and cook until translucent. Add the can tomatoes, beans, olives, and water; stir gently. Add sugar, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper; mix well. Bring to a low boil, then turn down and simmer while you prepare the baking dish and shred the cheese. Add a little water if needed to the meat sauce ( do not let the sauce dry out) It should be a little watery to absorb into the tortilla chips.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Shred cheese and set aside. Lightly grease baking dish. Layer bottom of baking dish with chips overlapping them. Scoop meat mixture on top of chips. Sprinkle ⅓ of cheese on top of meat mixture. Continue layering; chips, meat mixture and cheese, finishing with cheese. Sprinkle top of casserole with olives to your liking.

Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until warm on the inside and cheese is melted. Serve with sliced avocado, remaining chips, and sour cream.

 Substitutes: You can use; Rotel Original or Rotel Fire Roasted Tomato and Chilies, and regular cheese. The Stone ground Tortilla’s just give a more rich flavor than famous brand plain tortilla chips found on the chip aisle, but can be substituted for any style tortilla chip

I like the Stone Ground Sea Salt Chips from Costco

No comments: